Property Numbering and Signs

Property Numbering
Property Numbering

The property owner is responsible for the provision and maintenance of individual property numbers as regulated in Council’s Local Law for Roads. Numbers must be easily read from the roadway to enable a property to be identified by emergency services vehicles, taxis, service authorities and the general public.

Urban Properties 

Rural Properties 

In the urban area all properties are allocated a street number by Council.
These street numbers should be clearly displayed on the property.

Confirmation of a property number may be obtained from our Customer Service Centre. Please note that corner properties may have the option of one of two addresses depending on the access restrictions, due to the road classification, found in Council’s property notes.

The allocated rural addressing number is determined in a logical
sequence based on the distance of the property access from the start
of the road and will be known as the principal address of a property.

Each number represents the distance (in metres), divided by 10 from
the road’s commencement point, and adjusted slightly to achieve odd numbers on the left hand side and even numbers on the right hand
side of the road. This system aids the location of property entrances by allowing drivers to measure distances from a given point.

Rural address numbers have replaced duplicate lot numbers,
PMB and CMB and other numbering systems used in the past.

Confirmation of a property number may be obtained from our Customer Service Centre. To ensure uniformity of the system throughout the Shire, Council provides standard number posts with the reflective rural address number adhered to both sides of the post.  

Property Owner Responsibility 

Council Responsibility 

It is the responsibility of the property owner to:
  • Confirm road or street number of a particular property with our Customer Service Centre.
  • Install and maintain property number in a location that is easily read from the roadway. 
  • Maintain and replace addressing sign if damaged or stolen. Maintenance shall include removal of grass and vegetation from around the sign to ensure that it is not obscured from the travelling public.
It is Council’s responsibility to provide information on a road or street
number for a particular property.

Supply of Signs

Initial implementation

For initial implementation, Council will supply number signs (free of charge) to every ratepayer who has an existing residence/access driveway leading from the nominated road. Vacant lots will not be issued with a sign until such time that a dwelling or shed is constructed. When an existing vacant lot is subdivided it is the developer’s responsibility to pay for the rural addressing of the additional lots. That is Council pays for one rural addressing number, developer pays for the balance.

New residences:

Upon receipt of an application for a Building Permit for the initial habitable dwelling on a vacant lot, Council will advise the property owner to apply for Works in Council Controlled Areas and Roads. Council will supply a number sign (free of charge) to the access driveway when workmen are next in the area.

Location of Signs 

Kerb & channeled roadways:

The number is to be painted or fixed to the kerb,
or erected on the road frontage boundary of the

Non kerbed roadways:

The rural addressing sign shall be erected at the
far side of the access drive approximately 1.0m
outside the line of guideposts/shoulder of the
road/or property side of the piped crossing or
adjacent to the mail box in a visible location.
The top of the sign is to be 1.0m to 1.2m above the
ground, where possible.

Single access to multiple lots:

Where a combined access leaves the road to
service two or more lots, signs are to be placed at
the near and far sides of this access reflecting the
number of lots served by the combined access
road (i.e. the lowest and the highest number).