Establishing a New Food Business?

All licensable food businesses including fixed premises, mobile premises and temporary premises are required to be licensed by Council. If you wish to operate a licensable food business in the Livingstone Shire Local Government area you are required to obtain a licence from Council by applying to the Environmental Health Unit. The following information will assist you in ensuring your application is complete and that you have considered everything that is required to apply for a food business licence. You can lodge your application online here

- All licensed food businesses are required to have a qualified Food Safety Supervisor. 
- Some licensed food businesses are also required to have an accredited Food Safety Program.

Establishing a food business premises whether in a new or existing building requires compliance with a range of legislation. Application may be needed for each of the areas listed below depending on the nature of the food business. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all these areas have been investigated. 

- Planning Approval 
- Building Approval 
- Trade Waste Permit 
- Plumbing and Drainage Permit 
- Food Business Licence Application 

The food business may also require: 
- Footpath Dining Permit or Mobile Vending Permit from the Local Laws Unit of Council 
- Signage Approval from the Planning Department of Council 
- Business Registration from the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) 
- Liquor Licence from the Office of Liquor and Gaming

  1. Pre-Lodgement
  2. Fitting Out
  3. Lodgement
  4. Final Inspection
  5. Ensuring Compliance

Before you make a decision on the premises you intend to start a food business from it is recommended to book pre-lodgement with one of Council’s Environmental Health Officers. The Environmental Health Officer can meet on site to answer questions and discuss the premises against the Food Safety Standards requirements.

The aim of the pre-lodgement is to provide you with information on the potential of the premises to be a food business and issues you should consider with regards to the premises to ensure compliance with the Food Safety Standards. Approval will not be provided at the visit.

If you wish to book a pre-lodgement with one of Council’s Environmental Health Officers please contact Council.