Do I Need a Food Business Licence?

If you handle or prepare unpackaged food, you generally will require a licence. Examples of unpackaged foods that require a licence are:

  • fruit or vegetable juice that is processed at place of sale
  • cakes, muffins or biscuits with fresh cream or custard in the filling or icing
  • takeaway food such as hot chips and hamburgers
  • making food by combining ingredients such as jams, sauces, curries or soup
  • bread and bread rolls
  • sandwiches, including toasting sandwiches at a cafe
  • bulk coffee that is repackaged into smaller containers
  • any other unpackaged food that is not exempt.

This is not an exhaustive list and if you still have queries about the type of product you are going to prepare and sell, contact Council.

Find out more about the licensing requirements for child care and the licensing requirements for outside school hours care.

You do not need a licence for these activities:

  • Selling pre-packaged food only.
  • Selling whole fruit and vegetables only.
  • Production of primary produce such as milk or meat at a butcher, with accreditation. Refer to the Food Production (Safety) Act 2000 for more information.
  • Selling drinks such as tea, coffee and soft drinks.
  • Selling alcohol. A liquor licence may be required to sell alcohol.
  • Selling pre-packaged fruit or vegetable juice. You do not need a food business licence for fruit and vegetable juice not prepared at the place of sale (e.g. ginger juice manufactured elsewhere), but you will need to comply with labelling requirements, and you may need a food manufacturer licence.
  • Selling snack foods that are not potentially hazardous
  • Selling seeds, spices and dried herbs.
  • Selling tea leaves.
  • Selling coffee beans and ground coffee.
  • Grinding coffee beans.
  • Selling ice and flavoured ice.

You may not need a food business licence for the activities listed but you still need to comply with the Food Act 2006.

For more information on Licensable Food Businesses click here.