Christmas Day is almost here and while it’s a great time to spend time relaxing and laughing with loved ones, Livingstone Shire Council is urging residents to think smart when it comes to the inevitable clean up.
These tips for preventing waste are able to be seamlessly transitioned into your everyday routine whether you’re staying in or going away these holidays.
Keep these important suggestions in mind to improve the quality of our environment and help in the quest to reduce waste this year;
- Tinsel and foil wrapping paper are unable to be recycled, so keep in good condition for reuse or separate from other recycling if placing in bins;
- When wrapping presents choose to use gift bags/boxes which are reusable or use recycled paper;
- If you receive unwanted gifts, re-gift or donate to your local charity store instead of throwing out;
- Don’t waste food. Organise a generous amount for each person at the event without overbuying. Often your eyes are bigger than your stomach;
- If using Christmas lights ensure they are on a timer or use energy efficient options such as LED or solar lights; and
- Ensure that only recyclable goods are disposed into the correct bin and placed out for collection
Water and Waste Management Councillor Adam Belot urged people to actively take on the responsibility of being environmentally friendly this holiday season.
“The Capricorn Coast is one of the most beautiful areas in the world to live and we want to make sure it remains just as beautiful for future generations,” Cr Belot said.
“These tips are an easy way to incorporate the practice of reducing the amount of waste your household creates and effectively improving the environment we all live in.
“With the New Year being rung in soon, now is the time to make a commitment to waste reduction and start your year off the right way.”
For more tips on waste reduction visit www.livingstone.qld.gov.au.