Livingstone Shire will join libraries across Australia for the week of May 20 to 26 in celebrating Library and Information Week 2019 with a range of free activities and community events.
Library and Information Week provides the opportunity for people of all ages to discover the wide range of services and resources offered by the modern library.
Organised by the Australian Library and Information Association, Library and Information Week emphasises the significance of libraries in preserving our history and culture at local and national levels.
Libraries, Arts and Culture Councillor Pat Eastwood said the theme for Library and Information Week 2019 is Truth, Integrity, and Knowledge, which recognises all the ways that qualified library staff and libraries support and further these ideals.
“Livingstone Libraries will be showcasing six exciting events throughout the next week for residents of all ages beginning with an Author Event on 18 May, National Simultaneous Storytimes and an Armchair Travel session on 22 May, finishing with two Biggest Morning Tea fundraisers in Yeppoon and Emu Park on 23 and 24 May,” Cr Eastwood said.
“This week aims to boost recognition of the role libraries play in our local community, work, and personal life. Libraries are an important provider of free services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to vital information and services for education, recreation and digital inclusion.”
Cr Eastwood encouraged residents to attend any or all of the events scheduled throughout Library and Information Week.
“There is always something exciting and informative happening at our local libraries from babies through to senior residents, so come along and discover more about your local library,” Cr Eastwood said.
For more information on Library and Information Week 2019, please visit https://www.alia.org.au/liw or for more on Livingstone Libraries, go to http://www.livingstone.qld.gov.au/168/Libraries
Library Information Week Events:
• Saturday 18 May: Author Event – Terry Deague at Yeppoon Library from 10am – 11am
• Wednesday 22 May: National Simultaneous Storytime at Yeppoon and Emu Park Libraries from 10am – 11am
• Wednesday 22 May: Armchair Travel – China on Your Bike, at Yeppoon Town Hall from 6pm – 7pm
• Thursday 23 May: Biggest Morning Tea at Yeppoon Library from 9.30 – 11.30am
• Friday 24 May: Biggest Morning Tea Emu Park Library from 9.30am – 11.30am (Home cooked goodies prepared by staff on offer for gold coin donation to Cancer Council)